Familial Dysautonomia doesn't necessarily affect the cognitive abilities of the patients. Therefore, most of the students choose to be part of the regular school system. Unfortunately, as a result of complications and frequent hospitalizations, students are absent from school more than the average student. Missing a lot of school has a personal emotional cost as well as an educational one.Goals of the Education with a Smile Project:
Courses of action:
- Strengthening the self-esteem of children with FD in order to maximize their potential.
- Developing personal study strategies and skills in order to close the gap with the class.
- Development of stress and crisis management skills
- Development of social skills
- Private lessons. Two hours a week with a teacher from their school.
- Cooperation with the "Tallim" Organization that supplies private teachers to children who are bedridden ( paid for by the Ministry of Education)
- An assistant for each child in elementary school throughout the school year.
- Weekly sessions with a psychologist
- Para-medical treatments to improve speech, swallowing and balance (stability)